Thursday, February 25, 2010

Shutter Island

I have many complaints about Shutter Island. But I think that is mostly because of the pedigree involved in making this movie. I have never read the book (or heard of it before this movie was made) so I'm not sure how well it was adapted. My issues lie solely with the film. With that in mind, I am still giving it a passing grade.

From the first scene of the studio credits the music is meant to build suspense. For me, it just made me think "If I have to hear this soundtrack for 2 hours I'm going to kill someone". Luckily it does eventually calm down and lets us relax. Later on it will be like a cat running across the keys of a piano. I feel whole heartedly that I could play the final act's score from memory without any recent musical training.

If you've seen the trailer you've seen too much. They want to let you know that there are twists and turns, but I think if they had played the trailer as a straight up period crime thriller, they might have done a better job reeling in audiences. But a lot of people have already seen it, so who am I to say. As for me, I was looking for twists the entire time. My guard was up, which might be why I had some trouble with it. And that also made the movie seem pretty long. But I had a guess as to the twist and I was right. Which was disappointing. I didn't guess it all.  There were things to tell me in the 20 minutes of the third act reveal.

I will say that there was a coda to the movie that had two quick beats that led to a post film discussion with Meatball. I had to verify what I had just seen had occured. And that's the reason overall I enjoyed the film. It is beautifully shot. There are some tense moments. Another thing we talked about post film are some of the edits. They are either glaring mistakes or placed there purposefully to through you off. You don't have to be a movie buff to catch them. Overall, I can see why it wasn't released during the Christmas Award Season, but it is above the usual Jan/Feb releases. Worthy of a matinee.


Did you enjoy it?
Yes, with some reservations.

Would you see it in theaters again?
No. Although the film is built for repeat viewings.

Would you rent it?
Possibly.

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
If it didn't get to the top of my rental queue.

0 comments:

Post a Comment