Friday, February 5, 2010

Echelon Your Dreams & They'll Come True


It was announced today that Pavement will make a stop on their reunion tour in Chicago, IL for the Pitchfork Music Festival. What a great Friday.

I did get to see Pavement before their breakup. I was a junior in high school. My friends and I convinced another friend to drive us 2+ hours to Minneapolis to see them at First Ave. It was during the Wowee Zowee tour. Oh yeah, the opener was Wilco (AM sux!).

In honor of their reunition (RE - YOU - NIGH- SHUN; yeah I can make up words too) here is what I am going to do. I will limit myself to one track per album.

Westing (by Musket and Sextant)
Box Elder
It is one of my favorites of all time. What a great little song.

Slanted and Enchanted
Here
This song in both it's album version and peel version are great. I like a song that can be beautiful when played slow and rock when played fast.

Peel Sessions (found on the reissue of S&E but originally on bootlegs, hey remember those?)
Kentucky Cocktail

Watery, Domestic
Shoot the Singer
"Someone took in these pants".

Crooked Rain Crooked Rain
Unfair
This may be a controversial choice from this great album. I don't care. Get your own list if you don't like it. This was the track that got me going back in the day.

Wowee Zowee
Father to a Sister of a Thought
The only country I like is Pavement Country.

Brighten the Corners
Type Slowly / Slowly Typed
This is another example of how they show their genius. One is a slow melodic song. The other is a funky country-fied version.

Terror Twilight
...And Carrot Rope
Any time you can get Mark Ibold to sing, you're in business. Nice coda to a nice career.


See you this summer, S.M. Jenkins and crew!

0 comments:

Post a Comment