Monday, October 19, 2009

Whore Err Moo V's
Aliens

Another one that gave me nightmares as a child, Aliens is a different breed. Jim Cameron takes the horror sci fi genre and blends it seemlessly with action.

I remember seeing the movie box for this film right next to the movie Alien and trying so hard to figure out the difference. I guess I'm advocating the sequel numbering system. Otherwise you'll have baffled kids out there renting movies in the wrong order. But I guess you can still get confused, like if you rent Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2 as a double feature. You'll definitely feel like you just watched the same film twice...and you'll feel like you might be going insane. But I digress.

Aliens is great. I don't have to tell you that. Do I? Ripley has been asleep for like 80 years (since the end of the first one). When she wakes up, of course they ask her to go back to identify the aliens. She gets military backup. Things don't go well.

I remember seeing it on ABC as a kid where there was a turret scene keeping an eye on a hallway. When I watched it years later that scene was gone. I didn't understand until DVDs started putting out special additions with scenes cut back in. Apparently they had to add some extra scenes to the TV version to pad out the time and cut some of the gore. But at least it put my mind at ease that I wasn't crazy.

Anyways, going back to childhood, there are three scenes that really terrified me. The chest burster scene (even the mock version of that scene in Spaceballs scared me as a kid). Terrifying. Then there's the scene with 'Mad About You"s Paul Reiser. With the bings and blips. Super scary. And then of course the water scene with Newt. Yikes. But...that's the point. It is scary and awesome. And one of my favorites.

0 comments:

Post a Comment