Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I finally know Where the Wild Things Are


The day has finally arrived. Since the book became popular (not on it's true original release but later) people have been trying to make this film. Results: Amazing. But, that said, it didn't capture my imagination. It is visually stunning. The kid playing Max by a kid named Max is great to the max. Hey, remember that show the Maxx on Mtv? Yeah it was awesome.

The production was fraught with peril (I've always wanted to say that!). Serious work by Spike Jonze started in 2005. All studios (original Universal and finally 20th Century Fox) had trouble with the tone. It's a credit to everyone involved that they got this final product out.

So why don't I love it? I guess it all boils down to relation. Most reviews I have read come from guys who say they relate to Max. I might have been a terror as a child, but I don't see myself in him. And that's probably the biggest problem. Many will love this movie and many should. One can only hope and pray that filmmaker's visions make it onto the big screen. For what's playing out there right now, you could do worse (ahem Saw 11). But as sad as it pains me, this won't make my top five of the year.

Did you enjoy it?
Yes.

Would you see it in theaters again?
No.

Would you rent it?
Yes.

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Yes. No. Maybe So.

0 comments:

Post a Comment