Sunday, July 5, 2009

And.Here.We.Go.
-Joker

John Krasinski has found his Garden State.

This one almost got away. There was an advance screening that I couldn't make. My friends got to go. Three out of four really liked it. One was not so sure. I've been trying to see it for a few weeks and thought it might turn into a "best intentions" rental. But today I got there. And boy am I glad I did.

I'm on the fence about the director, Sam Mendes. Last winter I had one of my worst cinema experiences with Revoluntionary Road. What a dismass turd. I like drama, but that was torture. So I was a little skeptical for this one. Regardless of Dave Eggers penning the script. Regardless of Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski.

This one tiptoes across a tightrope of quirk and emotion. I think it is most like Goldie Locks and the Three Bears. The movie is more like one of those series of short stories or vignettes. They range from good to tolerable. I would say the best is the visit to the sister and the worst being the visit to the cousin. I try not to spoil, so I won't go into greater detail.

Maya Rudolph was a big question mark going into this film. That was the main complaint by my friend who attended the advanced screening. I think she's a standout here. And I went in watching her with a close eye. She gives a very subtle performance. A lot is conveyed with the quieter moments by her. Krasinski also lands on the right side of the fence. He tries to ham it up but does so in a convincing way. The man can handle the words Eggers has given him to recite.

This year is turning out some very good smaller films. I was happy to see that Away We Go is 10th on the top ten box office this week. I hope it can keep going and picking up momentum. When your senses are tired of the assault of summer, this is where you can rest and enjoy yourself.

Did you enjoy it?
Yes

Would you see it in theaters again?
No (maybe if I was with a group of people and everyone else wanted to see it)

Would you rent it?
Yes

Would you buy it?
Maybe. I think it would be a good entry to the collection.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Yes

0 comments:

Post a Comment