Monday, October 4, 2010

The Social Network


I'm too old for Facebook. Yes, my ninety year old grandmother has a Facebook page. I say that "I'm too old" in reference only to the fact that I wasn't in on the ground floor. It was for college students long after I was out of college. Yes, I have a Facebook page. I deleted it for a while, then had to create a new one. Not because I was missing all the online fun. But when your whole family lives in another state, you sometimes want to know what is going on with them. And Facebook is really the easiest way for someone who doesn't want to pick up the phone (who does that anymore?).

What got me interested in this movie were two men: Aaron Sorkin (Qs) and David Fincher (Alien3). One of the best writers currently working and one of the best directors around getting together to tell the seedy tale of  the creation of Facebook. If they thought there was something interesting there, then so do I.

...And there is. Recently, my roommate and I were watching "The Soloist". When it was done, she said it was kind of boring because nothing really happens. I told her it was based on a true story. Sometimes in life nothing happens. And then sometimes you get sued for millions and millions of dollars for creating a website that everyone in almost every country has heard of.

Based on the biography "The Accidental Billionaires" the story is told in flashbacks during two different depositions. Both of them involve Mark Zuckerberg (Jesse Eisenberg) the founder of "The Facebook". The movie is highly entertaining. It might be considered a little long for some and others might be thrown off by all the technical talk (APACHE server, anyone?). But if you can handle that, then are left with a story of a socially awkward teenage genius.


Did you enjoy it?
Yes.

Would you see it in theaters again?
Yes.

Would you buy it?
No. I think there are few DVDs worth purchasing anymore.

Would you rent it?
Yes.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Yes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment