Thursday, October 28, 2010

Due Date


Earlier this year when we got our first trailer for Due Date I was oddly unaffected. Is this supposed to be a comedy? I didn't laugh once. Then I thought, hopefully they're saving all the good stuff for the film itself. Turns out, not true.

You would think that they'd be able to rest a lot of the heavy lifting on their main leads. Robert Downey Jr. has come back from his drug years to due his best acting work. He could do this in his sleep. Zach Galifianakis killed it in The Hangover, so there should be some left in the tank.

The problem is the script. You're supposed to relate and / or sympathize with these two guys. One is amazingly unlikable. The other is impossibly clueless. It is just scene after scene of flat moments. Now that doesn't mean there are no laughs. But you need to hit a certain ratio when it comes to a comedy, and I remember being the only one laughing a few times. When I wasn't laughing, you know you're in trouble.

Did you enjoy it?
Mildly. I'm glad I saw it for free.

Would you see it in theaters again?
No. One and done.

Would you buy it?
Ooooh the inevitable 'Unrated Version'! No.

Would you rent it?
Nah.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Eh. If there was literally nothing else on, possibly. Give it a second chance.

0 comments:

Post a Comment