Thursday, January 21, 2010

Viva La Revolucion


Sometimes movies will surprise you. One day I will have to do some research on the refreshing films of 2009 (I put this film in there because there was a Chicago screening in November that I didn't win passes for). It was a quiet evening with not a lot to do. A perusing of the film showtimes pointed out that Youth in Revolt is still playing. I had a casual interest so might as well.

What a fantastic little movie. A lot of the reviews that I read came from people who had read the book. They said they kind of did a cherry pick of material to include and that led to a series of vinettes that don't quite hold together as a whole movie. But anyone who knows me knows that I love those kind of movies. And this is a new one on the list.

Nick Twisp is a reader. A lover of Frank Sinatra. He's Michael Cera. Not quiet super dorky, because he's self aware of his lot in life, but still not a winner. But all that changes when he falls in love and creates a new persona to help him get back to her. Francois (sp?). This sets in motion a bunch of hilarious and raunchy yet smart scenes in the movie.

Overall, with medium expectations I came out pleasantly surprised. Great performances, a surprising amount of laughs (which always makes a winner in my eyes). You could do a lot worse this time of year than to see Youth in Revolt.

Did you enjoy it?
Sure did.

Would you see it in theaters again?
Possibly. There is a lot of crap lining the walls in January.

Would you rent it?
With the rental window smaller and smaller I would but not right away.

Would you buy it?
Not sure it is worthy of the collection. Maybe if in a discount bin.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Absotively.

0 comments:

Post a Comment