Thursday, January 28, 2010

Jesus This (pt 1): The Book of Eli


Another year, another apocalypse. This time the people of Earth tore a whole in the sky and the radiation and sun burned up a lot of people. But not everyone. We've got Denzel walking west running into the usual group of Mad Max types.

Our main three are Eli who's got some knowledge to drop, Mila Kunis as "the girl" and Gary Oldman who wants what Eli has got. This is better than I expected. It's most comparable to an apocalyptic western. Mila does a surprisingly good job. I expected the least from her and got the most. Denzel does this role in his sleep. Gary Oldman must have seen something in the script he liked, because he doesn't usually show up unless there is something good for him. I'm not sure what it was, but he seems to be ready to chew the scenery at any moment.

Since it was released in January you would think it was a dump. I think they were just looking for a smash and grab with some paying theater goers. There won't be a lot of good stuff in the theater until spring, so you could do a lot worse. There are a couple of moments in the movie that even beg for a second viewing. I might just do that. I won't say anymore, because I hate giving plots away. And the trailer and commercials do enough of that as it is.

Did you enjoy it?
Yes I did.

Would you see it in theaters again?
Possibly. It does demand a second viewing.

Would you rent it?
Possibly to give it one second viewing.

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
I wouldn't seek it out, but might hang out if it's on. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment