Friday, June 10, 2011

X-Men: The First Class


The X-men series has gone from good to bad within 4 movies. So, like Pirates 4, I had no interest in this film. But then reviews started coming in saying it was pretty good. That couldn't be true. The only reason Fox keeps making these movies is so they retain the rights to the Marvel characters and they don't revert back to Marvel Studios (shrewd, but Marvel is doing pretty good on their own with Avengers coming next year).

X-men 3 was bad. Just a hollow attempt to end the series. Then they went with an origin tale for Wolverine. Just so terribly terribly bad. So, I guess they had nowhere to go but up.

And up they went. This movie is really good. I'd say it's one of my favorite so far (but I did just win passes to Green Lantern next week, so I wouldn't hold onto that title belt for too long). The filmmakers stayed true to some of the original four movies while also blazing a trail on their own. There are some neat twists and turns throughout the movie.

Setting the movie in the 60's was a good idea. You get to see some of the classic X-Men suits, and you can just blame it on the period. The special effects aren't great, but some are okay and they're all passable.

The only real issue I have with the movie is you don't get to know a lot about the bad guys. You learn a little about one of the five bad guys. But that makes sense, I guess. They do focus a lot of character development to the "good" guys. I say good in quotations, because Magneto is a good guy for now. But we all know he won't stay that way (for anyone who knows anything about the other 4 movies and comics).

If they keep up, this might be a good series of films again. Yay.
Did you enjoy it?
Yes.

Would you see it in theaters again?
Maybe. Might pop my head in after seeing something else.

Would you buy it?
No. I owned X2 at one point but a crack head took it from me and I never replaced it.

Would you rent it?
Maybe. Mrs. Nugget didn't attend the screening and I think she would like it.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Of course.

0 comments:

Post a Comment