Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rango



Rango is being sold on Johnny Depp's name. I don't really care one way or another, but just thought it was worth mentioning. Mostly because I don't get it. I guess the marketing machine likes name recognition. I just don't think it will sway people one way or another. It's a cartoon. "Ooooh, JD is the voice! I was on the fence but now I am in!" Is someone in the world saying that? Anyways.

Animation is an interesting beast. You are automatically put into one genre. You have your own Oscar category. But from there the chasm between tone can be wide. What am I getting at? While I liked the movie, it wasn't funny. Which is usually why you take kids to animated movies, right? I think this movie will confuse people. I'm not sure kids will like it. Don't get me wrong, there are some jokes, but it's not an animated comedy. I would best describe it as an animated action western. With talking animals.

Which leads me back to Johnny Depp. While some kids may only know him as Captain Jack Sparrow or the Mad Hatter, I think the reason it is marketed with Depp's name is in an effort to draw in more adults. But that's just my opinion. Regardless, if you have rug rats, take them and ask them what they thought.

Did you enjoy it?
Yes.

Would you see it in theaters again?
No.

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you rent it?
If I had a little person that I needed to distract for 90 minutes, sure.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
No.

0 comments:

Post a Comment