Friday, March 4, 2011

Adjustment Bureau


In my last post, we talked about Rango. How do you sell it? Johnny Depp was the answer in that case. The same question can be asked for the Adjustment Bureau. It is a romance wrapped in a science fiction fantasy tale. And the cherry on top is what if your decisions weren't up to you (it's up to God, FYI). But I can see why it is coming out in March. It's not a summer tent pole type of movie. But you do have two likable lead actors with good chemistry. It's a weird story, but one I really enjoyed.

Wisely, the movie avoids going into great detail of how the adjusters work. You see a book, they wear hats, that's all you're going to get. I did feel myself getting worried as to how they would let it play out? Would they have to talk to "God" to get things straightened out? Remember when Neo got to that room in the second Matrix and talked to the Architect? Luckily, they skirted having to do something crappy like that here.

The movie is based on the Philip K. Dick short story "The Adjustment Team". Anyone who recognizes that names know that usually means you have half baked ideas that don't translate to film. At this point,  haven't all his stories been made into movies yet? Not having read the short story I can't say for sure, but I would say they did the usual Hollywood edits, adding a love story, softening the philosophical dilemma, etc. In this case, I think it adds to what the finished product is. Mrs. Nugget came out of the film with a smile on her face. She gives it a thumbs up. So, that counts for something. If I could have just gotten her to come see Drive Angry with me.

Did you enjoy it?
Yes.

Would you see it in theaters again?
Nah.

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you rent it?
Maybe. Instant, sure.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Probably.

0 comments:

Post a Comment