Thursday, March 18, 2010

Runaway from the Runaways


There are biopics and there are biopics. If you want one that will be remembered you can't pull any punches. This is harder to do if the people you want to put up on screen are still alive. It's even harder if they aren't good people or painted in the best light. 

So, yeah, The Runaways isn't so great. You know what I learned from this movie...Lita Ford was in the band.  Oh don't get me wrong, they spend almost no time on her as a character, but they say her name twice. Kristen Stewart plays Joan Jett. Her I know. But again, I don't really learn anything about her. The one person we do get to see with a family is Cherie Curry. The lead singer of the Runaways. But I wouldn't say I learn anything about her. 

This is a hollow movie that serves two purposes. It gives Kristen Stewart something to do in between Twilight films and shows us that 16 year old Dakota Fanning is growing up before our eyes. We also get a cameo by Maybe Funke (Alia Shakwat) playing a fictional bassist (because there were like 4 Runaway bassists. Or none of them signed off on the movie). 

I learned more by reading their wikipedia page than I did by watching this movie. If they had maybe focused on one character and shown the rise of the Runaways through their eyes, there might be more to recommend. The sleazy manager, Joan, Cherie, Lita. Anyone. Almost Famous is a better biopic than this, and its not real. You may say that is unfair because they could just make plot points up, but in reading about this band, I know there is plenty of stuff there. They just decided to gloss over it. 

Did you enjoy it?
No. I was in the front row. There were too many close ups. It was shot in 70's quick cuts and soft focus. And it was lackluster.

Would you see it in theaters again?
No.

Would you rent it?
No.

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
No.

0 comments:

Post a Comment