Monday, November 30, 2009

The Informant! is the best movie you didn't see


Whew, that was a close one. Yeah I bet you didn't think I was going to see this one. Well, luckily for me Ames mall has a second run theater. Yeah, evening weekends in Chicago, $11 now. Evening weekends in Iowa...$2. Man, I should move home. Then I could double the viewings of this year. But again, I did get to see a lot for free, so who can complain.

But, boy am I glad I did see this. Remember what I said about "The Men Who Stare At Goats"? Well this mines similar material and does it right. Based on a true story, it tells the tale of corn, intrigue and bipolar disorders. This movie is in a nutshell all true. But depending on perspective, can be told in different ways. In this case, its played for laughs.

But it is not all laughs. Since its grounded in reality, the characters are not necessarily the butt of the joke. The situation itself is the focus. I didn't actually find myself laughing out loud until the third act. At that point it was a 12 layer cake and I had to laugh at the audacity of it all.

Did you enjoy it?
Very much so.

Would you see it in theaters again?
If I didn't have to go to Iowa to see it in the first place, yes I would have.

Would you rent it?
Yessir.

Would you buy it?
Possibly.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Of course I would, Tim.

0 comments:

Post a Comment