Saturday, November 14, 2009

The Boat that Rocked

"Pirate Radio" as it's known in America was called "The Boat that Rocked" in England. This is like the classic case of TAKEN where the movie opens everywhere except the USA. How dare they? Don't people in other countries know we're number 1? Where would people in other countries be without our movies? We have Hollywood!

But it's hard to discuss being left out in the cold about a movie that is already on DVD in England. Especially a movie that is pretty great. I guess in the 60's England stopped playing rock and roll on the radio. Reminder this is the time of the Beatles, Stones, etc. WTF? England, that's why you lost the war vs the colonies. And now you hold it against us by not releasing the film here for a year?

So, some renegades when offshore to play rock to the england airwaves. I guess this lasted a few years. I'm not sure how much is actually true. It's based on a true story, supposedly. I'm not wasting my Saturday looking on wikipedia to verify any facts.

The man who created this film also created a lot of movies about love: Love Actually, Bridget Jones (movies, not books), Notting Hill, Four Weddings and a Funeral and assorted Mr. Bean stuff.

This film is the music version of all his love tales. It's a music love story. A boat full of men playing rock. Phil Hoffman, Nick Frost, Bill Nighy, Rhys Darby (Murray from Flight of the Conchords) and a host of others.

It's very fluffy and lighthearted. There is a ton of good rock music. And the loop, who provided me my free passes, gave me the soundtrack. Nice. And a tee shirt. boom. Additionally a Loop sock for my iPhone. Thanks.

Did you enjoy it?
Yes.

Would you see it in theaters again?
Probably not.

Would you rent it?
Yes.

Would you buy it?
Nah.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Sure. According to Tim I would watch any movie on TV. Shut it, Tim.

0 comments:

Post a Comment