Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Splice (with Q&A by the Director)

I have been curious about this movie for a while. It was made independently a couple years ago. It has been slowly making its way around the festival circuit. Then Joel Silver decided he liked it. Now the movie is a synergistic partner with NHL Stanley Cup Finals. Amazing.

This is a cautionary tale of genetic engineering. And it goes places I didn't expect. I should have been prepared since Guillermo Del Toro came on board as an Executive Producer. He has a certain affection for his creatures. And this movie is no different.

Originally, I felt the movie gave away too much plot. Having seen it, I can safely say that is not the case. The whole time I am sitting in the theater with sweaty palms. When you have a genetically engineered animal, you're never sure if "Dren" is going to act humanely, or like a wild animal. I can safely tell you there are no cheap scares here. Every scary moment is earned.

One problem I have has nothing to do with the movie. It has to do with the director Vincenzo Natali talking behind me during the end of the movie. He was at the screening for a post movie Q&A. I guess some reps came in with him and kept asking him questions. I actually had to give the guy who made the movie a glare to shut up. That's something I haven't done before.

There are a couple of scenes that I thought were meant for open interpretation. But during the Q&A Vince explained what he was going for in the scene that kind of took all the mystery out of it. And the thing is, what he put on the screen didn't really match up with what he said after.

It's pretty good through and through. I do have a few qualms with the end of the movie that don't really ruin my enjoyment, but definitely take it from a "must see" to a "pretty good". Part of the plot was also in Jurassic Park (book more than movie) and doesn't make as much sense in this context. But we're talking about a movie where a person is made with a combo of other animals in a lab, so I guess I shouldn't peel the onion too much.

Did you enjoy it?
Yes. You should go see it if you like scary movies.

Would you see it in theaters again?
Possibly. It does lend itself to repeat viewings.

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you rent it?
Yes.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Yes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment