Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A(n im)Perfect Getaway

Pop Quiz Hotshot:
What do The Fugitive, The Arrival, Critters 2 and A Perfect Getaway have in common? They were all written by David Twohy (he directed Pitch Black, The Arrival and A Perfect Getaway too!). He's all over the map. But he is responsible for some interesting genre films. Looking over his filmography there is a lot to be proud of and a lot to be ashamed of too. How does his new thriller rank?

Well, you know I hate to be a spoiler, but let's just say I figured out the twist right away. Did that effect my enjoyment? Not in the least. It let me focus on how they were setting it up. This is the story of three couples in Hawaii. It feels like they all have something to hide. I really loved the way that they treated me like a head trauma patient. When they reveal the surprising twist (FYI, super twisty!) they spend the next 15 minutes explaining what they saw in the first place during the first hour of the movie. But, unlike My Bloody Valentine, they do a good job of staying within the realm of reality.

The movie isn't all that great. I would categorize this film as a surprise gem if you found it on cable one night. It was either this or THE GOODS when we went to the movies. I couldn't muster enough energy to care either way. So this is what we saw.

It has Ultraviolet star Milla Jovavich (also known for being in love with a guy who keeps putting her in terrible Resident Evil movies). Hilarious Steve Zahn is in this (not being allowed to be hilarious). He isn't sitting in the car for over a half hour. He didn't have to go into the bushes to smoke a jay. He didn't meet you at LOMPOC. Timothy Olyphant is around. He's the rugged traveler. And...finally we get Nikki of Nikki & Pauolo. Yeah, her. The last time I saw her she was saying that Pauolo lies (or was it "paralyzed"? I can't remember).

What is great in this movie is the luscious scenery that is Hawaii. I can see why the actors signed up to be in this film. See below if you don't know where this is headed.

Did you enjoy it?
Meh. If I had to flip a coin, I would say yeah.

Would you see it in theaters again?
No. NoNoNoNoNo. no.

Would you rent it?
No way, Jose.

Would you buy it?
Of course I would (..........NOT)

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Pass.

0 comments:

Post a Comment