Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Pirates 4: More Pirates


Did you enjoy it?
Actually quite a bit.

Would you see it in theaters again?
No.

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you rent it?
No.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Probably.

Now that the questions are out of the way, here are two new ones.

Why do most of the critics hate this movie so much?
What is the deal with AMC not playing this movie correctly?

I read a lot of early reviews of this movie that made it sound like it was the worst thing in the world. Now, to start, I liked the first one, thought the second one was a little too long and bloated, and HATED the third one. I had no interest in seeing this one, until I almost died of boredom. So, I thought this would at least kill the clock, boredom wise. So, maybe it was super lowered expectations, but I thought it was not bad. They have scaled back, having shed Keira and Orlando. There are still way too many cast members. They are adding a minor role for a Missionary and mermaid love story. Some have said this should have been expanded, but I think it was wisely left as a small c-plot.

People have also complained that Jack Sparrow makes a good comic foil but a poor lead. I think it's half true. I like the idea of following a main character who is basically scamming everyone around him for his own means, but for this movie, they also try to soften him, which is the real mistake.

Thankfully, they dial back the action just enough. If they tried to top the huge noise maker of the 3rd one, my head would have likely exploded during this movie. It's smaller scale, which I think some people are upset about. If it's not bigger than the last one, then what's the point (sewn on America's coat of armor).

Now to my second question, you need to see this article:
http://www.boston.com/ae/movies/articles/2011/05/22/misuse_of_3_d_digital_lens_leaves_2_d_movies_in_the_dark/?page=1

Thanks to Dave for the link. We had been discussing this the day before I saw Pirates. I told him that thankfully I had never experienced that. Guess I shouldn't have jinxed myself. It was so murky, but watchable, so I did not get up to complain. I usually get surveys emailed after movies, so I am hoping to use that time to complain. But it was ridiculous at some points.

Anyways, if you have any affinity for the Pirates movies, you'll be fine. Its a fitting sequel.

0 comments:

Post a Comment