Wednesday, June 30, 2010

The Last Airbender in 3D (question mark???)

Let's make this short and simple. This is a kid's movie. If they love the cartoon they might like this. To quote my plus 1 "There were kids in it, but I don't think it is a kid's movie." Good point. But it is bloodless and there aren't a lot of people that actually "die". Some, not a lot.

I saw it in 3D (it was free, I had no choice). But you can't tell. There is almost no 3D since this is another case of being shot in 2D and then up for conversion. It was so dark (a requirement of 3D) that I could barely see what was going on anyways. It was annoyingly dark. Had I paid, I would have complained. I cannot stress enough that if you feel compelled to see it, see it in 2D. It will look much better.

It was made by M. Night Shaymalan. I actually think this isn't as bad as his historic mess known as "The Happening" but it definitely isn't a return to his original greatness. I guess it was a fluke.

So, I guess as in the cartoon on which it is based, there are some people who can manipulate the elements. They're called XXXX-benders. Earth, Wind, Fire and Water. It's funny that the show is actually called Avatar, but I guess there was another movie made recently that used that title, so this one was changed.

It's hard to come up with what to say about this movie. It's bad, but not in a way that really gives any enjoyment. The only thing close is Aasif Mandvi, from The Daily Show. His acting is fantastically "Mark Wahlbergesque" in how laughably bad it is. He's belting out lines like he's still reporting to John Stewart.

Can I just one more time stress how dark the film projection was? So dark. Any of the night scenes you squint and struggle to see what is going on.

Did you enjoy it?
No.
Would you see it in theaters again?
No.

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you rent it?
No.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Yes. Just kidding. NO.

0 comments:

Post a Comment