Friday, July 1, 2011

Troll Jegeren
(Troll Hunter)


I saw a foreign film this week. It was about a government agent in charge of controlling the troll population in Norway. And it was pretty good (they are threatening to make an American version of the film).

Troll Hunter is one of those "found footage" films in the vein of "The Blair Witch Project". But this movie has some good special effects, not just kids running around the woods crying. A group of college kids are looking to get a scoop on a supposed poacher killing bears illegally in the woods of Norway. What they discover is that the bear poaching is a cover up to hide that fact that trolls are real.

My family is Norwegian. I have vivid memories of these terrifying yard trolls that my grandmother had at the farm. I couldn't find any pictures online of them, so I will have to take the camera home next time I'm there. But trust me, they're frightening. Well, they show up in the movie. There are a wide variety of different trolls in the movie. Mountain trolls. Forest trolls. They follow some myths and some are dispelled as fairy tales (what if a troll challenges me to an eating contest?).

The movie uses the found footage format to its advantage. They do their best to not have a ton of shaky cam footage. It's a fun little film. It takes itself just seriously enough to not be campy, but still have a light heart.
Did you enjoy it?
Yes.

Would you see it in theaters again?
Maybe, since I missed the first 5 minutes (stupid Cubs traffic)

Would you buy it?
No.

Would you rent it?
Yes.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Yes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment