Tuesday, November 16, 2010

One Thumb Up for 127 Hours


There are two ways this can turn out (and no, I am not talking about Aron Rolston getting out of his mess, I mean the movie itself). When you have one person on screen for the majority of the time, it can bore you to death, or it can captivate you. Luckily, Danny Boyle does a great job of keeping us interested, sympathetic and hopeful.

Now, even though this story is real and from seven years ago, I'm not going to spoil it. I can say that it is really good. There are some neat camera angles that go from claustrophobic to desolate and lonely. There are some neat shots. James Franco does an amazing job. Of course the movie rests on his shoulders and he bares the burden with ease.

Seeing the trailers and already knowing the story, I was curious, but not necessarily going to run out and see it opening weekend. If I hadn't gotten into the screening, I'm not sure what would have eventually gotten my butt into a seat. Hopefully I can convince you to not make the mistake I almost made. It's better than anything else that is out right now and probably will be out until around Christmas. You definitely need to have a somewhat strong stomach, but isn't as graphic as you may have heard. There are rampant rumours of fainting in screenings. You should be fine, but be warned.

Did you enjoy it?
Yes.

Would you see it in theaters again?
Maybe.

Would you buy it?
No. Not one to go on repeat DVD play.

Would you rent it?
Sure. Maybe see the behind the scene prosthetics.

Would you watch it if you saw it was on TV?
Possibly.

0 comments:

Post a Comment